I’ve been noodling around about what I’d like to publish next. I’ve got a bazillion books (approximate figure only) partway done, but none of them is exactly jumping up and down and screaming, “Pick me, pick me,” at the moment. What to do…what do do…
I thought it might be helpful to get some outside viewpoints. Namely, yours, gentle readers. So here are my choices, along with the pros and cons of each. Weigh in, won’t you, and let me know which you think is my next best book?
1. Down on the Farm: A collection of short stories about women on farms. We have Maggie, a young mother who lives on a dairy farm until one day, when it all goes horribly wrong. We have some the story of Casanova, my sister, and me. We have the story of the birds in the strawstack, and what happened to them. We have the story of the Water Witch. We have the story of baling in the early morning. These are stories and mood pieces which capture a bit of the flavor of ranch life through the eyes of women.
2. Seeing Daddy Out: A memoir of a year in my life, when I had to face the reality of my dad’s death when I had yet to come to terms with his life. It’s a book about loving, and losing, and betrayal, learning to be on my own, and ultimately, finding my way back to loving. A lot happened that year.
3. The Rosemont Car: My grandfather’s life, as I knew it through the lens of his stories–and through his love and acceptance. So far this is written like a play to be read, but it could be converted.
4. A sequel to Good On Paper: This centers on a new character, who buys the family farm and sort of inherits DJ, now that Jennifer’s in the pokey.
5. A gigantic, amorphous, untitled work that can’t decide if it wants to be horror, fantasy, steampunk, erotica, or what. What I’d need to do with this is pick one thread and develop it–I’ve got some nice kid stuff in there.
6. A middle reader fantasy about a girl (Jane Gray) who is so far a fun read–her family is far from ideal, but she just takes it in stride and fights back.
Throughout the next couple weeks, I’ll post up snippets of each, so you can judge fairly.